The movement of sustainable development has got revitalized and redirected through the launch of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). These goals along with the subsequent targets have envisaged the dream of sustainable tomorrow. SDG4 specifically deals with ‘Education for Sustainable Development’. It aims to ‘ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote life-long learning opportunities for all’. This goal has come up with certain targets expected to be attained. SDG4 and its targets deal with the change in the education system particularly in classrooms to promote ensuing change in the society. This has its onus lied upon the role of a teacher. Target 4.7 speaks about ‘Education for sustainable development and global citizenship’. So the onus lies upon the teacher to lay the foundation for such change in the society through nurturing students in the desired direction.
The teacher is at the epicenter in promoting sustainable development. Hence teacher’s roles and responsibilities need to evolve with respect to sustainable development. If we wish to cultivate our society to be sustainable, we need to promote humanitarian approach through education. The teacher needs to be
empowered with new attributes as a facilitative teacher for it. The present course is an attempt to sensitize the teachers to perceive their transforming role as facilitative teachers for sustainable development. This course is aimed at promoting the facilitative development of teachers which is pivotal in their professional advancement towards promoting sustainable development. The focus of the course will be particularly on enhancing socio-emotional attributes of teachers as facilitators. It is designed to cultivate appropriate socio-emotional stance of teachers required for them to be the torch-bearers in the movement of sustainable development through quality education. Varied learning resources will be offered to carry out diverse learning activities.
"UNESCO OE4BW MOOC on Evolving as Facilitative Teacher for Sustainable Development " by Sandeep Patil, UNESCO Open Education for Better World , Azad COllege of Education, Satara (M.S.), India is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
A) Empathy, Respect and Appreciation
C) Relationship Oriented Approach
1. Pre-service Teachers (Student Teachers)
2. Teachers across all Levels of Education
After completion of the course, participants will be able to;
1. Determine significance of facilitative development of teacher with respect to sustainable development.
2. Grasp socio-emotional attributes required to be a facilitative teacher for sustainable development.
3. Discuss the ways to develop socio-emotional facilitative teacher development.
4. Design an institutional plan for promoting socio-emotional facilitative teacher development.
5. Perform as a facilitative teacher promoting learners to be creators of their own knowledge.
Certificate of Completion:
1.Watching all the videos and reading all documents (Resources)
2. Completion all assignments
3. Attempting all Quizzes with Minimum 50% scores
4. Participation in Discussion Forums with at least 3 Posts
5. Submission of Self-Reflection for each week as well as for entire Course.